It’s spring! The bees are buzzing, the garden is growing (some of it, anyway), and the days are getting longer.
As spring comes into full swing and with summer just on the horizon, many people in other parts of the country are starting to cook outside. One of my favorite things to grill (back in the days when I had one) was a good homemade hamburger patty. These days I pan fry them and they are still delicious!
The following recipe is something I have developed after trying several different flavor combinations and binding agents. They are delicious, juicy, and best when using farm-fresh ingredients!
2 lbs ground beef
*Or one goose egg, if you’ve got it. If you don’t, we just may!*
½ cup almond flour
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup dried onion flakes*
*I’ve made it with fresh onion too. It adds a really nice flavor, but it’s a little more difficult to get a burger that holds itself together.*
½ grated parmesan cheese
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- First and foremost, please wash your hands!
- Once that is done, in a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients by hand until meat mixture is well mixed but the meat still has texture.
- Form patties. I usually do three patties per pound of ground beef, but you can make them as big or as small as you want. I find that patties ¾” thick seem to cook just right, forming a nice char on the outside without overcooking the inside of the burger.
- Determine your cooking method. Like I said previously, I pan fry my burgers and they turn out great. I fry them over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side in plenty of butter. I’m sure they would be equally great (and maybe better) on the grill.
- I like to eat them with fresh greens. Last time I cooked them, I served them with baby radish greens and they provided a nice punch!
Feel free to modify to your own tastes! I think that’s really the fun with a homemade burger patty. Every time I make them they are slightly different from the last, but each time they are excellent. Have fun with it. Enjoy your family. Cook delicious, healthy food for them.